African Development Bank Group (AfDB) – Established in 1964, the African Development Bank is the premier pan-African development institution, promoting economic growth and social progress across the continent. There are 80 member states, including 54 in Africa (Regional Member Countries). The Bank’s development agenda is delivering the financial and technical support for transformative projects that will significantly reduce poverty through inclusive and sustainable economic growth.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chief Communications Specialist (PCSC)
Location: Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire
Position Grade: PL3
- The Presidency Complex (URPR) comprises the Office of The President of the Bank Group and all corporate offices, departments and other organisation units that are directly subordinate to the Presidency in administrative as well as functional terms. The President, in the capacity of the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Bank Group, is mandated to provide competent strategic management of the Bank Group and all its resources towards the fulfilment of the Bank Group’s purpose of contributing to economic development and social progress of Regional Member Countries.
- The Presidency Complex provides day-to-day and medium-term corporate leadership and executive oversight, maintains communication with the Bank Group’s Member Countries, and supports the Boards of Directors in the conduct of their statutory roles. In addition, the Complex provides legal and regulatory oversight on the conduct of the Bank Group’s business and integrated risk management of Bank Group operations, oversees corporate communication with a range of internal and external stakeholders, promotes integrity, transparency and the highest ethical standards and norms among Bank Group personnel in the conduct of their work, and assures the security of the Bank Group’s personnel, premises and physical assets, information and data in all locations where the Bank Group operates. Furthermore, the PRST Complex is also involved in catalysing investment from various sources in line with the operational priorities of the Bank Group.
- The President directly supervises several departments and units including Office of the President (PCSC); the Integrity and Anti-Corruption Department (PIAC); the Office of the Auditor General (PAGL); the Group Risk Management Directorate (PGRM); the General Counsel and Legal Services Department (PGCL); the Communication and External Relations Department (PCER); the Staff Integrity and Ethics Office (PETH); Office of the Secretary General & General Secretariat (PSEG); the Africa Investment Forum (PAIF); the Joint Secretariat Support Office (PJSS) and; the External Representation Office in Asia (PEXT).
The Hiring Department
- The Executive Office of the President assists the President in planning, supervising, and managing the business of the Bank Group.
- The Office of the President monitors, coordinates and supervises the implementation of various Bank programs based on the global or regional trends and emerging knowledge in the major development areas of agriculture, human and social development, energy and climate; and gender and civil society.
- The Office examines the impact of the Bank Group country and regional programs in responding to existing and emerging development trends and needs in the regional member countries, identifies new areas for business growth; leads and coordinates the preparation of technical and knowledge briefs for the President’s internal and external engagements; and monitors the effective and timely implementation of Presidential instructions, Board and Management decisions.
- Under other activities, the Office prepares and organizes the President’s missions and represents the Bank at international conferences and on working missions to member countries; organizes meetings with Bank’s Senior Management; reviews, evaluates and gives advice on communication and interaction between the Presidency and the various organs of the Bank; provides effective administrative and logistic support to facilitate implementation of the President’s programs; and prepares, monitors audit reports and follows up on the implementation of the recommendations of the reports.
- We are looking to employ an experienced and enthusiastic communications specialist with exceptional research and writing skills. The specialist is expected to be a strategic thinker with meticulous attention to detail, working well under pressure, and meeting deadlines.
- The specialist’s responsibilities include drafting executive level speeches suited to diverse audiences and platforms, completing revisions according to client feedback, and meeting all deadlines.
- Furthermore, the specialist will work with other Bank staff in and outside of the Cabinet to support the management of external and internal communications needs directly related to the Presidency. In doing so, the incumbent will assist in supporting and promoting a positive public image and controlling the dissemination of information on the President’s behalf.
Under the general guidance of the Director-General of Cabinet, the incumbent will be assigned the following duties, including but not limited to:
- Researching and fact-checking up-to-date information on a broad range of subjects for the Executive Office of the President;
- Researching materials of topical, technical, scientific, cultural, and /or historical nature for incorporation in speeches, talking points, presentations and reports, as necessary;
- Gathering and organizing ready to use files on information on possible events to enable early communications responses to emergencies and/or crises; and
- Assessing a variety of materials with staff throughout the Cabinet and other offices, as appropriate, checking all supporting data with the most reliable internal and external sources, as appropriate.
- Understanding written briefs and the specifics of speeches, talking points, presentations and reports, which may include structure, points of emphasis, appropriate humour, content, and overall style;
- Submitting draft speeches, talking points, presentations and reports outlines and subsequent drafts on time for approval;
- Ensuring that draft speeches and talking points are conversational and that the objectives will be clear to the target audience;
- Ensuring all speeches are appropriately well sourced and referenced where necessary.
- Scheduling rehearsal sessions if required and providing delivery tips where necessary;
- Timely implementation of client feedback and completing edits to speeches, talking points, presentations and reports as soon as possible;
- Drafting, editing and finalizing up-to-date and accurate speeches, talking points, FAQs and other materials (including op-eds, articles, and contributions to the RD’s Report and other publications) for public dissemination; and
- Overseeing the production of Bank Presidency-related press releases and other statements for press conferences and briefing sessions with press.
- Acquiring and maintaining a detailed knowledge of the Bank’s policies, principles, and strategies, and keeping up-to-date with relevant developments;
- Collaborating closely with the Bank’s Communications Department team on all aspects of communication including writing, editing, research, narrative-shaping, public relations, focused audience-targeting, media platforms, the use of visual aids to complement speeches, regional and global publications, with a view to supporting an enhanced understanding of the President’s corporate programs and activities;
- Reviewing and clearing the content of major communication strategies and materials specific to the work of the President, for the purpose of ensuring consistency with corporate policies, messaging and initiatives;
- Proactively promoting the elaboration and implementation of internal and external communications strategies and plans, with emphasis on the consolidation of info/data and formulation of monthly messages to regional offices with updates from HQ; managing the availability and updates of a comprehensive knowledge repository of speeches presentations, and advocacy materials;
- Providing substantive inputs for proposals and technical presentations from other units in the Bank to donors and external partners, roundtable discussions, and other meetings;
- Contributing to the strategic thinking and positioning of the Bank through future planning processes;
- Working with the Communications Department and other staff to coordinate the President’s participation in regional and global press conferences and events when required;
- Supporting and evaluating results of communication campaigns with the Cabinet team as well as with concerned units elsewhere in the Bank;
- Build and maintain relationships with journalists and key external role-players; and
- Performing other related responsibilities as assigned, including replacing and backstopping, as required.
Competencies (Skills, Experience & Knowledge)
- At least a Master’s Degree in Journalism, Literature, Communication, Creative Writing, or a similar discipline;
- Have a minimum of five (5) years of relevant professional experience, preferably in a similar role;
- Excellent research and analytical skills;
- A good understanding of public speaking;
- Impeccable oral and written communication skills in French or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Content writing experience for all media platforms, including proven social media and networking expertise.
- Ability to remain resilient and complete multiple revisions of documents, if needed;
- Strong planning and organizational skills, including a proven ability to think strategically, seeing the big picture without sacrificing the details, as well as a credible ability to influence and present ideas;
- An excellent understanding of contemporary debates in the political economy of development, broadly understood, both in the Africa and/or elsewhere, a plus;
- Familiarity with the role of development finance institutions in facilitating socioeconomic reform and addressing poverty reduction in developing countries, a plus;
- Experience in regional, continental, or international development agencies working on or in Africa, plus; and
- Competence in the use of Bank standard software applications (Office suites, Enterprise Resource Planning; Collaboration Suites).
Application Closing Date
11th November 2023.