US Embassy – The U.S. Mission to Nigeria comprises of the Embassy in Abuja, FCT, and the Consulate General in Lagos. U.S. Consulate General Lagos is the Mission’s representative to the Nigerian people in the southern region.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Chauffeur – All Interested Candidates
Announcement Number: Abuja-2022-069
Hiring Agency: Embassy Abuja
Series/Grade: LE – 1015 4
Promotion Potential: LE-4
Work Schedule: Full-time – 48 hours per week
- Hiring Path: Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is AA. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required: Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type: Permanent
- Appointment Type Details: Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time (6 weeks) of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position: No
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed: No
- Travel Required: 75% or less
- Job holder drives Mission Nigeria officials and visitors both in Abuja and in other states as required following procedures of defensive driving techniques and safety regulations.
- Under the direct supervision of the Motor pool Supervisor, incumbent operates a variety of armored and non-armored motor vehicles to transport Mission personnel, including VIP visitors, TDY staff, delegations and field trips.
- Performs routine preventive maintenance, cleaning of vehicle and completes trip ticket to notate each trip taken on their shift, including mileage, fuel, condition of vehicle, and passenger details.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- Completion of Secondary School is required.
- Minimum of 3 years professional driving experience is required.
- Thorough knowledge of Abuja and other Nigeria cities is required.
- Must have a good knowledge of automotive, mechanical, safety and maintenance practices i.e. checking fluids and tire pressure.
- Must be familiar with local traffic laws, traffic patterns, and locations of various government offices.
- This may be tested. Applicants must specify level of proficiency in the language listed.
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have a valid class B or D driver’s license. Ability to work on rotational shift schedule is required.
- Must be able to drive carefully and cautiously in heavy and chaotic traffic.
- Ability to communicate clearly on the phone and/or by radio and follow instructions is required.
- Ability to recognize hazards or potential dangerous situations and take appropriate defensive actions is required.
- Limited knowledge, Reading, Speaking and writing of English Language is required.
Equal Employment and Opportunity (EEO):
- The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Hiring Preference Selection Process:
- Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below.
- Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application.
- Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
Hiring Preference Order:
- AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
- AEFM / USEFM
- FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
- Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification.
- A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant.
- The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
- ** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in (insert post and/or country name) may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
- For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
- The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
Application Closing Date
9th June, 2022.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Public Trust clearance.
- To apply for this position click the APPLY TO THIS VACANCY” button at the top of the page. Click on the “Submit Application” button to complete your application process.
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested degree and / or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement.
- Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
- Residency and/or Work Permit
- Secondary (High) School Certificate
- Driver’s License
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
- Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification (or equivalent)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.