The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Area Manager
Job Identification Number: 5842
Location: Jos, Plateau
Job Schedule: Full time
Job Category: Information Technology and Systems
Reports To: Country Director
Supervision of: Project Manager, Security Officer, Logistics Officer, Finance Officer, HR/Admin Officer, ICT Officer, M&E Officer
Project Number: NGFP0000
Duration and type of contract: 1 year, fixed term contract (with possibility of extension)
Roles and Responsibilities
- The purpose of the Area Manager position is to ensure high quality and cost effective programme/project implementation within the designated geographical area.
- In Nigeria, this position is a member of the County Management Group (CMG). The following is a brief description of the role.
- Line management for senior project staff and support functions in the area
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Provide area specific input on CC strategies, Country Strategy and Plan of Action
- Organize grants opening and closure meetings at area level
- Implementation of projects (including master support budget and coordinating input for donor proposals and reports) in the area, in compliance with contractual commitments (i.e. quality, synergies, timeliness, use of resources).
- Ensure optimal use of resources within the allocated project budgets and CC strategies
- Represent NRC and networking on area level
- Ensure that capacity building is provided to all staff in the area
- Ensure overall security and safety of staff in the area
- Assess needs, develop emergency response and implement response plans
- Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy.
- Represent to all appropriate authorities and act in all official work concerning the Norwegian Refugee Council in Plateau State, Nigeria
- Establish a good working environment based on the NRC values
- Coordinate all area level programme and operational activities
- Conduct regular field missions to monitor project implementation
- Lead the area Grants management (Grants Opening, Review and Closing meeting) with the coordination and technical support of the Grants Manager and Head of Programs.
- Identify, initiate and follow up on advocacy issues at area level in close coordination with the Advocacy Manager and Country Director.
- Ensure support functions are managed according to NRC policies
- Ensure legally binding financial contracts and payments at area level are made as per the threshold limit stipulated on the authorization table.
- In collaboration with the HSS Manager, ensure that the Security Plan for the area is updated regularly
- Report to the Country Director any violations of NRC’s Personnel policies and Code of Conduct
- Ensure that NRC staff adheres to NRC´s security rules and guidelines
- Ensure quality documentation of all NRC activities at area level
- Through close monitoring of the context, develop approaches and activities ensuring promotion of the Do No Harm principle
- Strategy and project planning: Head of Programmes, Protection and Advocacy Manager, HSS Manager, Head of Support
- Programme development: Head of Programmes, Grants Manager
- Protection and Advocacy Manager
- Finance and logistics department and HR administration: Head of Support
Scale and Scope of Position:
- Staff: 1 Project Manager, 1 Security Officer, 1 Logistics Officer, 1 Finance Officer, 1 HR/Admin Officer 1 M&E Officer, 1 Finance Officer, 1 RH/Admin Officer, 1 ICT Officer, Field Coordinators (when recruited)
- Stakeholders: State Government Officials, Local Community Leaders UN agencies and INGOs.
- Budgets: (GIZ, NMFA)
- Information: GORS, Agresso, Webcruiter, Intranet
- Legal or compliance: Compliance with donor policies and reporting responsibilities, Code of Conduct, Security Policies.
Generic Professional Competencies:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Minimum of 4 years experience in a senior management level position in a humanitarian/recovery or development context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge on own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Some Knowledge/experience of at least two of the following program areas could an advantage: cash-based interventions, market based programing, food security and livelihoods, education (vocational training), protection, peace building
Context / Specific Skills, Kowledge and Experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Nigeria or West Africa
- Experience with rapidly growing programs or startups
- Experience in supporting fundraising, development of news proposals is an advantage
- Experience with community mobilization and engagement
- Experience establishing relationships and coordinating with government and traditional leaders
- Experience with community-based development and grants management
- Able to train and manage teams for effective quality implementation (to listen, advise, support, solve conflicts, motivate, etc.)
- Proven skills and experience in successfully managing field teams.
Behavioural Competencies (max 6):
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Handling insecure environments.
- The employee will be accountable for the responsibilities and the competencies, in accordance with the NRC Performance Management Manual.
- The following documents will be used for performance reviews:
- The Job Description
- The Work and Development Plan
- The Mid-term/End-of-trial Period Performance Review Template
- The End-term Performance Review Template
- The NRC Competency Framework.
Application Closing Date
20th April, 2022 (04:29PM).
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Click here for more information (MS Word).