Action Against Hunger is the world’s hunger specialist and leader in a global movement that aims to end life-threatening hunger for good within our lifetimes. For 40 years, the humanitarian and development organization has been on the front lines, treating and preventing hunger across nearly 50 countries. It served more than 21 million people in 2018 alone.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Advocacy and Communications Officer
Job type: Full Time
Line Manager: Head of Department-Advocacy and Communications
Proposed Start Date: as soon as possible
- We are recruiting to fill the role of Advocacy and Communication Officer to join the team in Abuja.
- This person will mainly be responsible for translating the mission advocacy and communications strategy into plans with the aim of increasing the visibility and profile of the organization.
- The ideal candidate is a self-starter who thrives in fast-paced environments.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop an advocacy and communication implementation plan, tools and materials to increase awareness of Action Against Hunger programming to stakeholders
- Liaise closely with the field advocacy team to develop and support the integration of new communication approaches, tools, and techniques into Action Against Hunger programming;
- Organize and coordinate the celebration of international/national advocacy days and campaigns, and use such forums for allowed advocacy themes (e.g. Global Handwashing Day, etc);
- Support Action Against Hunger advocacy efforts by developing advocacy messages, materials, tools as well as multimedia content;
- Undertake field visits to monitor the impact of the communication materials, messaging, use of tools, identifying communication gaps and opportunities for a wider spread and reach critical masses with appropriate information;
- Assist the advocacy and communications team with the coordination of field advocacy events, meetings, and where possible representations;
- Update mainstream and social media platforms to communicate program activities to a wider audience;
- Support coordination with and work with mapped out media and communication organizations in implementing programs’ advocacy activities;
- Monitoring and supervision of media as part of advocacy-related collaborative activities and plans in Nigeria by ensuring that these are in line with Action Against Hunger country strategy;
- Liaise with the project team for advocacy and communications needs and raise procurement requests for the production of IEC materials and other visibility materials.
- Collect evidence-based information and testimonies that Action Against Hunger can use to inform programming and advocacy.
- Contribute to the state and national level advocacy agenda by collecting and providing evidence that advantages project outcomes ;
- Collect and document beneficiary stories and testimonies that can be used for advocacy at a national and international level ;
- Promote cross-thematic learning through facilitating engagements, and knowledge sharing workshops on advocacy and communications ;
- Perform additional activities as requested by the Head of Department Advocacy and Communications ;
- Lead in content gathering for mission newsletter.
- Maintain and organize communication data and materials
- Proactively cultivate relationships with key media contacts and compile and maintain contacts and a general database of stakeholders;
- Manage Action Against Hunger image and video library for communication, reporting, and other needs;
- Liaise with media outlets to package information and ensure external visibility with appropriate information and message targeting, while working with HoD Advocacy and Communications and a wider audience, contribute to the preparation of talking points, media briefs, and press releases;
- Support in maintaining a good relationship with Government and non-Government partners working on the Project through effective representations and delegated responsibilities.
- Document and share good practices from planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of program activities at the local community, state, and national levels
- Organize learning, knowledge sharing, and training for program and field teams on innovating and new digital and advocacy technologies;
- Support the timely dissemination of program information internally and externally;
- Work with the Knowledge Management Officer and field program team to ensure success/impact stories are valid and qualitative;
- Work with field program teams in Action Against Hunger field bases to plan and execute proper closeout activities;
- Manage stakeholders’ relationships relevant to advocacy and communications by projecting Action Against Hunger brand values and virtues.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive and the employee will also perform other related tasks as required and be responsible for reporting and communication of progress and achievement of the specific assigned task;
- The employee is also required to conduct all duties in a professional manner following Action Against Hunger Nigeria mission staff regulations, mandate and charter including promotion of gender equality.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Media Studies, Communications, Development Communication, or relevant discipline in fields of AAH thematic implementations (Health, FSL, WASH, etc);
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in communications and advocacy;
- A demonstrable understanding and experience of NGO media/advocacy work in the humanitarian or development context;
- Experience in designing and leading media campaigns or communication strategies;
- Experience in capacity building and/or training skills is highly advantageous;
- Ability to produce a variety of written and visual communications products in a clear, concise style;
- Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences;
- Ability to work in partnership with government and development partners;
- Ability to maintain good relationships with media outlets;
- Ability to develop, design, or create new ideas, relationships, systems, or products;
- High level interpersonal and diplomatic skills along with awareness of political and cultural sensitivities in different settings of Nigeria;
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve team and organizational goals;
- Strong skills in graphic design skills and the ability to develop simple infographics are desirable;
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, Word);
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Fluency in the Hausa language is an advantage;
- Willingness and ability to travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Gross Basic Salary: N281,063 Monthly (excluding other benefits)
- Other benefits include but not limited to 100% health care coverage, free and direct access to Cross Knowledge e-learning platform.
- Our employees enjoy a work culture that promotes diversity and inclusion
Application Closing Date
Friday; 17th June, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Action Against Hunger provides Equal Employment Opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or genetics.
- This is an emergency recruitment and we are looking to fill this role as soon as possible. Candidates available to start immediately are highly preferred.
- Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.