Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. We save children’s lives. We fight for their rights. We help them fulfil their potential. Save the Children is working in Nigeria because one in five children in Nigeria dies before their fifth birthday. About 40% of children miss out on school and have to work to survive while nearly 2 million children have lost one or both parents to an AIDS-related disease.
We are recruiting suitable candidates to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration Coordinator
Job ID: 220001RP
Employment Type: Full-time
- Child Safeguarding: Level 3 – The responsibilities of the post may require the post holder to have regular contact with children or young people and, in the overseas context all posts are considered to be level 3 posts in view of potential situations which may allow staff unsupervised access to vulnerable children and young people.
- Reports to HR & Administration Manager
- Staff directly reporting to this post: Admin Officer
- The purpose of the assignment is to provide professional administrative support to Save the Children’s International humanitarian response teams and staff.
- This role will be responsible for coordinating the administrative support systems for the Humanitarian program which include general administration, facilities management, travels, store management, maintenance and development of policies and procedures.
- S/he will liaise with the other departments, Field Offices and Country Office in ensuring appropriate support is provided to local, International staff and visitors to the response programme.
- S/he will also be expected to mentor and/or capacity building of existing staff.
- The Administrative Coordinator contributes to ensuring that Save the Children’s commitment to improving quality and accountability in humanitarian work is upheld, through reference to Save the Children Quality Standards and the NGO Code of Conduct, and endeavours to provide effective admin support.
- In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Key Areas of Accountability:
The scope of this role will include:
- Oversee the management and maintenance of office premises, guest houses and warehouses, furniture, fittings and all equipment in a fully functioning state in Maiduguri, Biu and Damboa.
- Ensure the Borno Office is well equipped, has sufficient levels of supplies (consumables, stationery, equipment) etc, is fully functioning and fit for purpose to enable all staff to operate with maximum efficiency
- Manage and supervise the admin team
- Ensure compliance with Save the Children Quality Standards, Global Policies and Guidelines
- Event coordination and planning – make sure adequate support is given for all events ensuring transparency and value for money.
- Co-ordinate office equipment / supplies by ensuring that all the equipment in the office are in good working condition.
- Ensure quality of products supplied and service rendered.
- Pro-actively identify potential problems affecting the running of the office, proposing solutions to Line Manager and work to put them in place
- Develop and manage plans for office seating to ensure that all staff are suitably accommodated
- Manage the Administration budget including preparation and monitoring of master budget; monthly cash flow forecasting, budget phasing and supervise the petty cash
- Ensure new staff to the team undergo adequate on-boarding process.
- Develop, manage, and oversee effective relationships with service providers, suppliers, landlords, etc, ensuring transparency and value for money
- Ensure staff/ guest staying in any of the guest houses are allocated their room and sent welcome mail indicating guest house and room number at least 24 hours before arrival
- Ensure the guest houses chart is shared daily with the TL
- Monthly cost share of the guest houses is shared with finance for appropriation as necessary
- Liaise with the Country Office on immigration issues
- Ensure necessary tools are developed in order to facilitate the administration function
- Ensure cordial relationship with colleagues from the Country Office and Field Offices
- Ensure premises are fit for purpose and suitably equipped, tidy and professional appearance is maintained.
- Liaise with Supply Chain to ensure the development and maintenance of general office equipment tracker; regularly evaluate equipment and plan/recommend up-grade for future needs and also the disposal of obsolete items.
- Liaise with landlords on all SC rented properties
- Oversee the overall maintenance of the guest houses, warehouses and office premises, facilities assets and equipment (physical work environment) and ensure that these are secure and efficiently utilized
- Review and annually update all contracts and leases and ensure they are kept up to date and that all leases are compliant with the Nigeria government tax and other legal requirements
- Oversee the annual preparation of the renewal of licenses and permits as appropriate
- Develop, manage, and oversee effective relationships with landlords, vendors etc, ensuring transparency and value for money
- Ensure admin stores are effectively and efficiently managed.
- Ensure processes are in place for receiving and issuing out items in the store
- Ensure gift register is created and maintained
Travel & Hotel Arrangement:
- Ensure adequate and timely support is given by admin team to all requests for local flights and hotel bookings in line with the laid down procedure.
- Liaise with the required hotel facilities to find the best options available and ensure value for money
- Ensure international staff/ consultant on deployment has a smooth transition to Nigeria
- Ensure that travel is on schedule and cost effective and that visits/travels occur with a minimum of disruption and downtime.
- Ensure staff on official international assignment and international consultant traveling in-country have adequate travel insurance cover before the start of their trip.
- Work with team to make sure travel agencies invoices are process promptly
- Develop, manage, and oversee effective relationships with travel agencies ensuring transparency and value for money
Staff Management, Mentorship, and Development:
- Ensure appropriate staffing within Administration department
- Mentor, coach and supervise and manage Administration team; define expectations, and provide technical support as needed, and evaluate direct reports regularly
- Manage the performance of all staff in the Administration Unit to ensure staff optimize their potential in pursuit of Save the Children’s objectives through:
- Effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, ongoing feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations;
- Coaching, mentoring and other developmental opportunities;
- Recognition and rewards for outstanding performance;
- Documentation of performance that is less than satisfactory, with appropriate performance improvements/ work plans
- Display exemplary behavior especially as it relates to the key policies of SCI
- Liaise with the accommodation and travel officers across the different Field Offices and the Country Office to make necessary arrangements for visitors, staff etc.
- Maintain an efficient filing system for all administrative, visa and immigration correspondence
- All official communication is copied to line manager and the relevant people.
- Carry out other responsibilities as might be assigned or required from time to time, in order to provide support to the Admin team.
- Internal: Regular liaison with the Borno Response management and staff, Field Offices staff and Country Office staff
- External: Regular contact with travel agencies, landlords, vendors/suppliers, Immigration Authorities, MBNP, DSS, DIA, Diversity, Embassies / High Commissions
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice):
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Additional Job Responsibilities
- The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Safeguarding our Staff:
- The post holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI anti-harassment policy
Health and Safety:
- The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
Qualificatons, Skills and Experience
- Administrative & General Skills
- Level of Education – BSc / HND in relevant field
- MBA is an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years in a similar role preferably within the NGO sector
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with proven administrative skills
- Ability to manage people with different attitudes at all time
- Ability to manage competing priorities effectively in a constantly changing environment, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Strong coordination and time management skills
- Experience of dealing with international travel arrangements
- Sound knowledge of office practices, procedures and administrative systems including filing systems
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong teamwork skills with the ability to both support colleagues and request support as and when required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, fluent in English
- Ability to draft well-written, professionally presented documents
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, vision and values
- Experience of working in challenging, insecure areas and willingness to work and live in a rural environment.
Application Closing Date
18th March, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online