The African Union (AU) is a continental body consisting of the 55 member states that make up the countries of the African Continent. It was officially launched in 2002 as a successor to the Organisation of African Unity (OAU, 1963-1999). We are an Integrated, Prosperous and Peaceful Africa, driven by its own citizens and representing a dynamic force in the global arena.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Administration and Finance Officer (AUC-PCRD)
Requisition ID: 1006
Location: Cairo, Egypt
Reports to: Senior Finance and Administration Officer
Directorate / Department: African Union Centre for Post-conflict Reconstruction and Development (AUC-PCRD)
Division / Unit: Administration and Finance
Job Grade: P2
Contract Type: Regular
Purpose of Job
- The Administration and Finance Officer will be responsible for leading and coordinating all administration (human resource management, procurement, facilities management) and finance related tasks under the AUC-PCRD.
- He/She locally reports to the Senior Finance and Administration Officer who in turn functionally reports to the Directorate of Finance, the Directorate of Human Resource Management and the Directorate of Operations Services and Supply, on financial, administrative and human resource (HR) management matters.
- Provide support in the follow up on the activities of the Unit, including monitoring and evaluation of progress made in line with a predefined strategic plan.
- Suggest new and expand on existing policy areas for planned review and analysis.
- Contribute in conducting analysis and generate accurate reports in a timely manner for the Office and the AU’s internal use.
- Assist in setting the overall analysis of issues related to HR management.
- Participate in the organization of relevant meetings, congresses and conferences with stakeholders.
- Engage with relevant mid-level stakeholders and develop working relationships. Support the promotion of the activities of the Unit including preparing leaflets, guidelines and fact sheets.
- Assist in drafting reports and engage in the preparation of budget and work programmes related to the finance, HR and operations functions.
- Provide technical support to internal and external stakeholders as required.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Finance and Administration Officer, the incumbent will be responsible for the following:
Finance and Accounting:
- Manage a complete financial function of the Centre which would include a number of different and diverse operations and inter-related accounts of the financial system;
- Process and verify all bank payments and ensure that the accompanying supporting documents are complete and accurate;
- Process monthly payroll and related Staff emoluments;
- Journalize monthly exchange difference and bank charges on the various payments effected through foreign and local bank accounts of the Office;
- Prepare bank reconciliation;
- Adjust the local bank balance at the end of each month;
- Prepare financial statements for audit;
- Prepare financial reports for consideration of the AU Commission Headquarters and partners as well as the certification of general expenditures;
- Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained accurately;
- Provide advice on financial policies, their application and related procedures for the Office in accordance with the AU Financial Regulations and Rules;
- Provide advice and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the Organization’s Financial Regulations and Rules and and Circulars;
- Keep and update financial records of the Office;
- Perform any other financial and administrative related duties as may be assigned by supervisors.
Human Resource Management, Procurement and Administration:
- Maintain updated personnel data (in relation to Staff contract, leave management, up-to-date personnel information etc.);
- Maintain up-to-date files for service providers/contracts;
- Draft various correspondences related to financial and administrative matters and submit to supervisor;
- Plan, coordinate, and supervise the work of the General Service Staff;
- Provide advice on human resource management and administrative policies, their application and related procedures for the Office in accordance with the AU Staff Regulations and Rules and various Administrative Circulars;
- Provide advice and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the Organization’s Staff Regulations and Rules as well as Administrative Instructions and Circulars;
- Serve as focal person to coordinate procurement activities of goods and services in accordance to the threshold accorded to the Office and the AU Procurement Manual;
- Lead and control administrative support on issuance of travel documents, i.e. tickets and related documents, in accordance with the AU Travel Policy; facilitating all IT and facility related support services among others, in consultation with the ICT Directorate at the AU Commission HQ level as appropriate;
- Perform any other administrative related duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
- A University Bachelor Degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Management from a recognized institution with five (5) years relevant progressive work experience.
- A combined experience in Government, NGO or similar multilateral, regional or international public institutions will be a good advantage.
- A Master’s level qualification in the above fields and two (2) years relevant work experience in the types of organizations listed above.
- Two (2) years out of the total work experience need to involve supervisory responsibility.
- Professional Qualification of ACCA, SIMA, CPA or other equivalent certification will be considered as an advantage.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to organize and motivate others and to work in a multicultural environment. Previous international experience is an advantage.
- Excellent computer skills, especially Microsoft Office applications with focus on MS Excel, Internet Explorer etc. Work experience in accounting packages is required. Knowledge of SAP modules will be a preferred advantage.
- Excellent planning and organization skills
- Excellent negotiation, communication and presentation skills
- Excellent ability to draft official communications and reports.
- Proficiency in one of the African Union working languages is required. Knowledge of one or several other working language (s) of the African Union (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese or Spanish) would be an added advantage.
- Strategic Insight
- Developing Others
- Change Management
- Managing Risk.
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Fosters Accountability Culture
- Learning Orientation
- Communicating with Influence.
- Analytical thinking and problem solving.
- Job Knowledge and information sharing.
- Drive for result.
- Continuous improvement focus.
- Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage.
Tenure of Appointment
- The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
- The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Indicative basic salary of US$ 31,073.00 (P2 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment ( 48% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 19,103.64 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff.
Application Closing Date
4th April, 2022.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online